What is the Coach Analysis Intervention System (CAIS)
CAIS – A Brief Overview
Developed by Professor Chris Cushion and a team at Loughborough University, the Coach Analysis Intervention System (CAIS) is an instrument and process that helps coaches analyse and better understand their own coaching behaviour.
This unique and powerful tool is recognized as the standard across the world of sport for coaches who are looking to analyse, develop and improve their own coaching practice in a systematic way.
The Role and Value of CAIS
The role of analysis (and analysis technology) in aiding development and in gaining those small margins and advantages that often separate winning from losing has long been widely recognized and athlete and team analysis is now utilized across sport at all levels.
Coaches clearly play a crucial role in the development of individual athlete and team performance. However, despite understanding the benefits of analysis in enhancing performance, what is far less common is for coaches to "turn the camera" around and analyse their own coaching behaviour.
As a result, we often do not know what our own coaching behaviour looks like and research has shown that coaches are notoriously poor at describing their own coaching behaviour.
CAIS offers coaches an insightful and flexible solution to this problem. Its multi-dimensional and multi-level framework provides meaningful and useful feedback in a coach-friendly manner, giving detailed data about specific coaching behaviours during training and competition. The fusion with the online iSportsAnalysis analysis platform gives coaches powerful, interactive analysis capability in a flexible and user-friendly design.
How does CAIS work?
- It enables coaches to upload video of their coaching quickly and seamlessly to the iSportsAnalysis online analysis platform from any device.
- The coach can then select the aspects of their coaching behaviour they want to view and analyse from the CAIS framework.
- They then use the CAIS interface to view their video and ‘tag’ key moments - providing as much or as little detail/context as they want.
- The interactive CAIS viewer then enables the coach instantly access and view any aspect of their coaching behaviour.
- The coaching behaviour data is generated automatically in the online platform and displayed visually for the coach to view and understand
- Bookmarks (Compilation Videos) of any key moments can be automatically generated.
Using the CAIS instrument
Choosing the Coaching Behaviours to analyse
- Once a coaching video has been uploaded the user can select those aspects of coaching behaviour that they want to analyse using the intuitive CAIS Template dashboard.
- The CAIS methodology comprises 23 Primary Coaching Behaviours that the coach can choose from. There are also a number of Secondary behaviours that can be selected and these provide additional layers of context and a more nuanced understanding of performance (E.g. content, timing, stage of practice/performance, recipient). A full list of the coaching behaviours that comprise the CAIS instrument can be downloaded here.
Choosing the Coaching Behaviours to analyse
- Using this functionality, the CAIS instrument facilitates an examination of the microstructure of coach behaviour and discernible patterns of ‘coaching’ to be identified.
- The CAIS online solution has been designed in such a way as to enable the user to add their own individualised coaching behaviours.
Entering Your Key Coaching Moments
- The intuitive iSportsAnalysis video ‘tagging’ system enables any moments of interest to be quickly added using the CAIS Template data entry facility.
- Events can be added either ‘live’ or post-event.
Create Bookmarks and Highlight movies
- The Event filter facility enables groups of events to be bookmarked, automatically creating a compilation movie of those events that is available for sharing (if required)..
Reviewing Your Key Coaching Behaviours
- The interactive review facility allows the user to instantly access and view any events that have been added during the ‘tagging’ process
- The event-filter feature provides the ability to select specific ‘types’ of behaviour to be selected - and then individual examples of those behaviours to be instantly viewed. The video moves to that exact point in the session.
Viewing Your Coaching Behaviour Data
- When events are added the CAIS instrument automatically generates your coaching behaviour data.
- This information is then displayed on the iSportsAnalysis platform, providing a detailed breakdown of coaching behaviour in a coach-friendly manner and discernible patterns of "coaching" to be identified.
- Coaching behaviour data can be exported from the iSportsAnalysis platform.
- Benchmarking of coaching behaviour over time facilitating comparisons to be made and providing the basis
What do we mean by Systematic Observation?
"Systematic observation permits a trained observer to use a set of guidelines and procedures to observe, record and analyse observable events and behaviours, with the assumption that other observers using the same observation instrument, and viewing the same sequence of events, would agree with the recorded data."
Ian Franks (1979)
Analyse & better understand coaching behaviour
Happy Clients Testimonials
iSportsAnalysis has been instrumental in speeding up our game analysis and making it much more efficient. We are able to produce meaningful data quickly and make our footage and stats reports accessible to players and staff in a faster, more efficient, and easier way. For a club that is part-time and that has limited access time to the players, the fact that the stats are interactive and hosted online means we can connect to our analysis virtually which gives everyone involved in the performance side of the club much better access in really quick time.
Riteesh Mishra - Charlton Athletic Women’s Football Club
I have nothing but positive things to say about our experience with iSportsAnalysis. The product suits our needs from both an academic and applied sense. The customer service is outstanding; any issues (and there haven’t been many) have been acted upon without delay to a more than satisfactory conclusion. With the continuing development of the product I can see us using iSportsAnalysis for years to come.
Senior Lecturer, St Mary's university, Twickenham - Anthony Lockey
iSportsAnalysis have made it very easy for us to monitor and improve our team performances. The Commonwealth Games is a very important tournament for us and having the ability to analyze our games and share the results has been invaluable. Our players and coaches have been able to see their stats and re-play their matches at their own leisure, and on their own devices, making iSportsAnalysis the perfect way for our team to stay motivated and informed. iSportsAnalysis have supported us in every way and we are happy to have them as part of our team.
Cristy Mullender - Commonwealth Games - South African Netball
The Gloucester & District Referees Society spent six months searching for an online software platform that would enable us to analyse referee performance as an aid to training and developing our match officials, and found iSportsAnalysis.com to be the perfect fit for our needs. The ability to build our own bespoke code windows within the iSportsAnalysis software, use them to tag elements of a game and then publish them on our own online channel is unique to iSportsAnalysis.com
The Gloucester & District Referees Society - Tony Wakelin
After completing University I wanted to invest in my own piece of analysis software to push on my small business in the analysis of semi-professional sports clubs. After a referral from a friend I started my trial with iSportsAnalysis and can honestly say transferring over has been the best thing that has happened to my business thus far. Anadi has been second to none in going the extra mile to ensure I have settled well with the new software. I have never met anybody as passionate and knowledge about a product as him. I can’t stress enough how helpful, understanding and hard working Anadi is. Along with this, iSportsAnalysis is one of the most forward thinking software’s on the market, and it actually feels like it was made by analyst’s. The easy to use website has everything I would ever need and so much more, at a very realistic price. I would recommend Anadi and iSportsAnalysis to anybody in performance analysis and scouting, at any level.
Quentin Casey - Second Take Sports
I would just like to extend a huge thank you to iSportAnalysis for the unbelievable assistance their Sports Performance Analysis software offered during the TNL league. NSA (Netball South Africa) has indeed come up with a winning recipe by making iSportsAnalysis accessible to coaches, players and umpires. For someone with limited techno savvy, and with Cristy’s assistance, I was quickly able to master iSportsAnalysis which I used daily. The software was of invaluable assistance especially because of the logistics of my team members living far apart, and their work commitments preventing us from practising during the week. This programme afforded me the opportunity of communicating with the players through "Coaches Corner" giving feedback regarding tactical work for the upcoming matches. Players, through this medium, were able to see which areas of play they need to work on and also to receive individual exercises during the week. iSportsAnalysis is an excellent aid for all passionate coaches and I would definitely recommend it to be used at all tournaments.
Sunbird's Coach - Netball South Africa - Theresa Rossouw
iSportsAnalysis is a huge way forward for any sports team, for the simple fact that you have amazing people like Cristy and Thaka (South African team) making sure we get the best footage after every game. iSportsAnalysis really is enabling me as First Team Coach at Jeppe High School For Boys, to engage with performance analysis on a different level. The editing and exporting of video clips are accurate, fast and of great quality. The attention to detail on the events filter is a dream to work with. The success of the team to date and in future is all down to the amazing expertise and attention to detail that iSportsAnalysis possesses. To have access to this on any laptop and all that is needed is an internet connection, makes your company a cut above the rest. I thank you.
Lance Louw - 1st XI Jeppe High School for Boys Head Hockey Coach
I think iSportsAnalysis is a huge way forward for clubs and teams, and because of the price point in relation to competitors, iSportsAnalysis really is enabling clubs at all levels, including those on smaller budgets, to engage with performance analysis. iSportsAnalysis reduces the need for costly third-party software that charges on a per analyst basis. There is no need for expensive video editing software, or hardware (I spent 1,700 Euros on a laptop I now realise I didn’t need to spend); the editing and exporting video clips is accurate, fast and of great quality.
Mayo GAA Performance Analyst - Paul Jennings
I love iSportsAnalysis, and love what it offers to help players do better.
Annelie Lucas - Southern Stings Players and Management
I have been super impressed with iSportsAnalysis and the students really love using it, the fact they can use it at home as well as at the university is really great!
Associate Lecturer in Sport & Exercise Science - Hannah Hersant
Analyse & better understand coaching behaviour
The most effective coach analysis system
iSportsAnalysis bring you the only online Coach Analysis Intervention System developed by Loughborough University. Our team are here to support you when you need it. We have a library of video tutorials helping you every step of the way.
The Coach Analysis Intervention System (CAIS) is recognized as the standard across the world of sport for clubs and coaches who are looking to analyse, develop and improve their coaching practices.
Share analysis securley online
Once your coach has been analysed you can share the results securely online. Coach analysis can be utilised by viewing the stats in charts and graphs making it quick and easy to see an overview of the coach performance.
Analysis can also be seen in our timeline view making it easy to see what happened and when, we have a matrix view making it easy to watch all the video clips for events and an event filter which enables you to create your own playlists of events, bookmark them and share them!
Compatible with other analysis software
CAIS analysis can be exported and used in other performance analysis software. It is a seemless process.
We understand that transferring analysis from one system to another can be an arduous process; iSportsAnalysis make it easy to export your CAIS analysis.
Want to know more?
Sign up for our performance analysis updates
If you would like to know more about performance analysis, sports video analysis and how it can help your teams and players win more matches, subscribe to our updates.
Contact us if you have any questions
If you have any questions and would like to contact us please use the form at the bottom of this page. We will respond to your email as soon as we are able.